Scratch Made Hospitality has opened three new food concepts at Gibson Mill Market in the last few months, but they have been creating great food from scratch since right before COVID started. But even a pandemic couldn’t slow these motivated chefs down!
- 👨🍳 When they say, scratch-made, they mean it! From the ice cream at Churn Buddies to the noodles and sauces at Kuni’s Kitchen, owner Ryan Bybee and his business partner David Herzing say, “We believe where our food comes from matters most!”
The much anticipated Barcos Sports & Raw Bar opened in Gibson Mill Market just a few weeks ago, but Scratch Made Hospitality is also behind Kuni’s Kitchen and Churn Buddies whose second location (the first is in Afton Village) also opened in Gibson Mill Market this past month. They also own Barcos Food Company in Oriental, NC.
However, the group is probably best known for Village Corner Comfort Kitchen and Bar whose story of perseverance is only second to the quality of their food!
- They purchased Joe’s Sports Bar in Afton Village on December 31, 2019. The next day they began 10 weeks of construction to turn the space into their first restaurant concept. They were scheduled to open on March 18, 2020. On March 17, the state shut down all restaurants due to the COVID outbreak.
They didn’t let that stop them.
They quickly created an online menu and ordered takeout boxes for to-go orders. They also began donating food to first responders, the Salvation Army, Cooperative Christian Ministry, and Cabarrus County Schools. They also started the “It takes a Village” campaign which raised $15,000 (plus a match) equaling $30,000, which was given back to the community. In June they finally opened up at half capacity and have been growing ever since!!
🏆 Independent Tribune readers recognize the quality as they voted Village Corner as well as Churn Buddies in Afton Village both with Best of Cabarrus Awards in 2022.
Let’s get to know each of their Cabarrus County concepts a little better.
Village Corner Comfort Kitchen and Bar (Afton Village)
The southern-inspired menu at Village Corner changes often based on the availability of locally sourced ingredients.
- “We strive to create a comfortable neighborhood spot offering homemade tasty food paired with a carefully chosen bar program that includes small vineyard wines, craft beers, craft cocktails, and an extensive whiskey collection.”
We stopped in for brunch and enjoyed their cajun hash with andouille sausage, peppers, red onions, cheddar, roasted potato hash, hot sauce, and a sunny egg. We also had the garden omelet with eggs, spinach, peppers, cheddar, roasted, and added sausage with a side of potato hash. And don’t forget the Bloody Mary!
🍔 🗳️ Cabarrus Burger Madness starts March 1st! Taste their entry, the “Breakfast Madness Burger” featuring Brasstown Beef, Frank Courier sausage, Duke’s mayo, fries, a fried egg, Muenster cheese, and maple waffle bacon jam.
Churn Buddies Creamery (Afton Village and Gibson Mill Market)
Their first location opened in Afton Village serving scratch-made 🍨 ice creams and homemade waffle cones.
- “We believe our ice cream is only as good as the ingredients we use. We MAKE ice cream! No mixes, no kits…just milk, cream, and sugar!”
Customers rave about having Churn Buddies close to home! “Their homemade ice cream is heavenly. The best strawberry milkshake I have ever had! The staff is so friendly and helpful. Definitely going back many more times❤️”
Gibson Mill Trio of Food Options
Scratch Made Hospitality Group has recently joined the Gibson Mill Market with two food-stall spaces and a 2,400-square-foot restaurant. Barcos Sports & Raw Bar will operate in the restaurant space, while Kuni’s Kitchen and the second Churn Buddies location will occupy food stalls.
- “This was kind of the logical next step for us. We’re big on community, creative-focused concepts,” Bybee says.
Barcos Sports & Raw Bar 🦪 🏀🐟 opened this past weekend in the restaurant space at Gibson Mill Market and will offer a variety of seafood, naan sammies, raw bar, nachos, and scratch-made pasta.
- The space is packed full of fun! With an arcade, fifteen jumbo TVs, and a full bar, it’s a great spot to hang out with family and friends.
Caswell Turner with Cicada Studios created the hand-painted murals on the walls at Barcos. Check out the YouTube video of the finished product.
Kuni’s Kitchen 🍜 has an Asian influence, inspired by a close family friend of Bybee, Kuni, who came from Japan and lived with his grandmother for several years. Kuni’s Kitchen represents good food, good friends, and open doors. Ryan was taught that food and the kitchen table were the core of the family by his own southern grandma, Christine, who invited everyone into her kitchen.
- “My grandmother taught me that the best way to bring people together was through great homemade food.”
The menu boasts scratch-made noodles, dumplings, and salads. For your first visit, they suggest their fluffy fried rice paired with their ginger shrimp dumplings!
🥁 Drum Roll Please… the Scratch Made Hospitality group isn’t stopping now! They are currently working on Christine’s Wood Fire which will be located in the historic Albemarle Hotel, featuring craft pizza, steak, and seafood. Be sure to follow all of their restaurants on social media to see what they will be cooking up next!
Planning to visit? Tell ’em Cabarrus Weekly sent ya!