Volumes of scientific research prove the physical and mental health benefits of spending time outdoors. The pandemic shifted that amount of time upward for most people and that trend has remained strong. People are doing more relaxing, grilling, gardening, exercising, dining, playing with pets and children, and entertaining outside.
Photo credits: All photos in this article are Team Honeycutt client images.
Below we have highlighted THREE additions we are LOVING for outdoor living and it’s making life more enjoyable and more valuable than ever before.
A patio can add privacy and protect outdoor features from the elements while adding comfort to gathering spaces.
- DO: Add lighting to enjoy your outdoor patio in the evening and add furniture for more comfort.
- DON’T: Take up too much backyard space. We covet big backyards, so leave enough space for kids and animals.
A fire pit is a great focal point throughout the whole year and depending on the materials used, building a do-it-yourself (DIY) fire pit can be a very inexpensive investment.
- DO: Build a fire pit out in the open and away from structures. Also, be sure you have permission if you use natural gas.
- DON’T: Create a pit. Even though the name “fire pit” sounds like it suggests a structure, it isn’t necessary. Take the safety precautions seriously and create a sturdy structure around it.
Pergola or Extended Roof
Creating a backyard-covered seating area with a pergola or an extended roof can be a valuable investment. Fortunately, you can find great-looking, pre-fabricated pergolas that are less expensive and still provide the look and value you desire.
- DO: Use a covering tall enough and wide enough so everyone can easily move around outside.
- DON’T: Build without adhering to building codes, especially if you’re extending your roof.
Your home should welcome you at the end of a long day. Its value is highly dependent on the square footage, number of rooms, and other interior features, but what’s outside counts, too.
[See The Power of Curb Appeal: Making a Lasting First Impression].
Having a well-maintained yard, an attractive exterior, and functional outdoor living spaces can all add up to a big boost in enjoyment value and a return on your investment. A winning combination.
Planning to visit? Tell ’em Cabarrus Weekly sent ya!