Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cabarrus County (BBBS) has played an important role in our community since 2004, providing mentoring programs to children facing adversity. They have seen tremendous growth over the years, with 271 children served in 2023, up from 103 in 2015. Their goal for 2024 is to serve 300 children in Cabarrus County.
BBBS creates and supports one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. Their tailored mentoring programs include the High School Bigs program for elementary school students, the Beyond School Walls workplace mentoring program, and the Bigs in Blue one-to-one mentoring program connecting police officers and first responders with youth at school. The organization partners with local schools, businesses, and community organizations to provide these mentoring programs to children who need it most.
- The High School Bigs mentoring program is a partnership with the Boys and Girls Club of Cabarrus County, Keystone Club, Cannon School, and Cabarrus County High Schools.
- The Beyond School Walls workplace mentoring program is a partnership with Atrium Health Cabarrus and Cabarrus County Schools.
There are many ways to get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cabarrus County.
One way is to become a Big Brother or Big Sister yourself.
- The organization is always looking for dedicated individuals who are willing to commit their time and energy to mentor a child in need. By becoming a Big, you can make a positive impact in a child’s life and help them reach their full potential.
Attend BBBS events and help spread awareness of the organization. Join BBBS at The Big Toast, their annual celebration of mentorship on September 21, 2023.
- Held at the Kinetic Club, Atrium Health Ballpark, this event offers delicious food, live music, and an inspiring program hosted by WBTV’s David Whisenant. Hear heartwarming stories from Bigs & Littles and witness the presentation of the 2023 J.E.D.I. Partner Award for commitment to Justice, Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion. Best part? It’s FREE to attend! Registration is open and sponsorship opportunities are available.
Become an event sponsor.
- BBBS event sponsors play a vital role in ensuring that the event is a success and that the organization can continue to provide mentorship to children in need. By becoming a sponsor, you are making a tangible difference in the community and helping to empower the youth.
Make a donation. Even if you are unable to become a Big or a sponsor, you can still make an impact by donating to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cabarrus County. Every contribution counts, and your donation can go a long way in helping a child in need.
- Monetary donations can be made online and are tax-deductible.
- BBBS is also hosting a school supply drive to provide a full backpack with supplies to start the school year for each child in the program. To learn more, please contact Elizabeth Hutchins, area Director.
Local Businesses can get involved too!
- Working with a local non-profit organization is a great way to engage with the community. Businesses can get involved through sponsoring, mentoring, hosting, or supporting events and activities.
The need for programs like BBBS is great and support from the community is crucial for these programs to be successful. Learn how you can get involved with BBBS of Cabarrus County and make a positive impact by visiting the BBBS website and following their Facebook and Instagram pages.
Planning to visit? Tell ’em Cabarrus Weekly sent ya!